Having your own vehicle is both a privilege and a responsibility. It is a privilege since not everyone can get a personal car. Nonetheless, it is also your responsibility to protect yourself and your vehicle when driving on the road. Hence, first-time car owners need to get auto insurance to cover you while traveling on the road.
Most US states require car owners to have auto insurance, so you need to have one. But aside from complying with state regulation, car insurance offers insurance to first-time drivers like you. If you smash into another car or hit someone, your car insurance can cover the expenses for car repairs and the other person’s medical treatment cost.
It can also cover your medical expenses and treatment for your passenger if you got involved in a road accident. If your vehicle broke down, your policy could cover the costs of repairing your car.
Types of Auto Insurance
It could be tricky for new car owners to select the kind of auto insurance that you need. Sometimes first-time drivers are enticed to get the cheapest policy available. Most of the time, the most affordable policy is not the best choice. You must understand the coverage of each type of car insurance policy. It will guide you in choosing the coverage that suits your needs.
Here are several types of auto insurance coverages you can consider when you get your policy:
- Liability coverage. There are two types of liability coverage, which are bodily injury liability and property damage liability. Bodily injury liability can cover medical expenses and lost wages of another person who got injured from a car accident that you caused. It can also cover your legal fees. On the other hand, property damage liability could cover the expenses if you damaged another person’s property, such as if you run over your neighbor’s fence. Most states will require you to have both types of liability coverage.
- Collision insurance. It is a type of car insurance that can cover the costs of repairing or replacing your vehicle after you collide with another car or object.
- Comprehensive insurance. It can protect your car by covering any damage to your vehicle caused by any car accidents. It can pay for damages to your car caused by animals, falling objects, fire, or theft.
- Medical payments coverage. It can cover your medical expenses after a vehicular accident. It also covers the medical expenses of a family member or your passengers riding with you when the accident happened.
- Personal injury protection insurance. It protects the driver. If you got injured in a vehicular accident, it could cover medical costs over the limit of your health insurance. It can also pay your lost wages or loss of services due to the car accident.
Buying their first vehicle is a dream come true for most young professionals. However, it would be best to remember that there is also a responsibility associated with owning a car. You must protect yourself, your passenger, and your vehicle by obtaining auto insurance so you can drive your vehicle with peace of mind.
At Brad Spurgeon Insurance Agency Inc., we aim to provide comprehensive insurance policies that make your life easier. We want to help you get the insurance that fits your needs. You can get more information about our products and services by calling our agency at (409) 945-4746. Get your free quote today by CLICKING HERE.