1) Safety first! If you think you are at risk of being in danger, avoid going on the roof to check for damage yourself. Connect with a general contractor or a professional roofer.
2) Leaks or water damage is commonly seen after a storm. Water stains may appear on your ceiling or walls which indicates the need for repairs or even roof replacement.
3) For storm damage from the ground, asses you property for missing metal pieces and shingles, check the condition of valleys, exhaust pipes and outer edges.
4) If your property suffered from structural damage due to a tree which fell on your roof, you may need to hire a contractor or a roofer since you may need more than roof repairs.
5) After a hail storm which causes dents and dimples on the outer layer of shingles, you need to check for siding and roof damage.
Contact the Right Roofer and Have the Right MaterialsIt is important that you connect with the right people to do the job, whether your roof needs repairing or replacing. Experts would suggest that homeowners should find companies with experienced workers and avoid those that offer to pay their deductible.
Furthermore, in terms of materials to be used in the repair and replacement of your roof, considering better alternatives such as metal or composition shingles for the traditional ones would be advantageous to help prevent storm damage in the future.
Contact your Insurance CompanyIt is best to contact you insurance agent if your property suffered any damages after the strong winds so they can assess the property and determine whether you should file a claim. It is also important to remember to keep receipts for all work done as policies will cover such expenses and can aid in the reimbursement should you file a claim.
Protect your home by having insurance. Brad Spurgeon Insurance Agency Inc. specializes in homeowners, windstorm, hail, and flood insurance. Contact us for your insurance needs at (409) 945-4746 or pay us a visit at our office today. You may get a free quote by clicking here.