- Install some safety gates on your stairs that are securely attached to the wall as well as a stable and sturdy railing on both sides.
- Whenever you’re near water, be it a swimming pool, bathtub or even just wet floors give your full attention to the kids.
- If you’ve got a pool, make sure to keep it locked down or fenced in when not in use.
- Make sure that babies sleep alone on their cribs, lying on their backs, free from toys and any other objects.
- Whenever possible, give time to practice two ways to escape a fire in your home.
- Have carbon monoxide detectors installed on every level of your homes and make sure your smoke alarm is functioning 100%.
- Keep fire extinguishers handy and make sure everyone in your family knows how to use them.
- Store your medicine out of children’s reach and remember that children can be quite crafty at getting to difficult to reach locations in your house. As your little ones get better at climbing reassess your safety locations.
- Safely store your entire household cleaning chemicals and poisonous products away of children’s sight and reach.
- In the kitchen, never leave sharp objects such as knives or other tools and utensils misplaced or unattended.
- Place your TV on stable furniture and securely mount it to the wall to prevent a disastrous fall.
- Have your windows installed with window guards to prevent children from falling out of the windows.
- Keep rooms and stairs well lit at all times.
- Cover your fireplace with a stable and large metal fire frame.
- Make sure you have easy access to important phone numbers such as the police, the fire department, poison control, and trusted family or friends, and neighbors, in case of an emergency.
Home is a place where you spend quality time with your loved ones. So it is important that you keep your home a safe environment.
The Brad Spurgeon Insurance Agency Inc. would be more than happy to assist regarding tips about protecting your family in your home. Just call us at (409) 945-4746 or visit our office today. Click here and you can get a free homeowners insurance quote from us.