Here are some inclusions of the Building coverage:
- The structure along with its foundation
- The plumbing system
- The electrical system
- Water heaters and air conditioning equipment
- Stoves, refrigerators and other built-in appliances like dishwashers
Remember: Your personal belongings may also be covered which includes furniture, clothes and other equipment.
After the flooding incident, you need to file your claim as soon as possible. This is where you can use advance planning to your advantage. Here is the information that you need when you call your insurance company.
- The policy number.
- Your contact number or email address.
- Photos of the water damages in the house and inside the property. You will also have to submit evidence of the water damages. A good evidence is a piece of a carpet that you’re throwing out.
- A list of the items that were damaged including its value and age. You may be asked for receipts if you still have them with you.
Damages that were caused by mold or moisture that could have been prevented are not going to be covered by your flood insurance. This is why you need to clean your house as soon as possible after the flooding incident. Make sure that you dry your furniture outside the home to avoid getting mildew on them. Renters should never rely on their landlord’s policy to cover their personal belongings. Talk to an insurance agent about the type of insurance and coverage that you need.
Another important thing to take note of is that flood insurance does not cover the loss of your car. What you need is a comprehensive vehicle insurance. Your insurance agent should also be able to help you in this area.
Whatever you do, place your family’s safety first and make sure to safely evacuate your home during flood disasters. Leave it to your insurance company to help you pick up the pieces after the event. At Brad Spurgeon Insurance Agency Inc, we work hard in making sure that our clients are well-protected with policies that they can afford. To learn more about how we can help you, please contact our agency at (409) 945-4746 or Click Here to request a free quote.