Do not wait for tornadoes, hail and wind storms to hit your area before you take action. The first thing to do is plan in advance.
Things to Know About Storms
In a year, the U.S. experience approximately 3,000 hailstorms. During violent storms, these create hail the size of a softball.
About 1,000 tornadoes occur every year. These bring about 80 deaths, $1.1 billion worth of property damage, and 1,500 injuries.
How to Plan Ahead
Before a storm hits your place, plan and prepare by following these steps:
1. Tune in to your local TV and radio news channels. Usually, they broadcast thunderstorm warnings if tornadoes and storms are approaching. By being aware of these warnings, you have time to make everyone safe and secure together.
2. Know the escape route, just in case. During a storm, you cannot predict what will happen. It helps to know the safest way to exit your house and your neighborhood. It is advisable to bring a rope ladder when you need to brave the storm outside.
3. Add shredded bark to your yard. These are good replacement to your gravel or rock landscape in your yard. In case the barks get blown around by the intense wind, they will not damage anything they hit.
4. Keep everyone inside the house away from doors and windows. severe winds can penetrate these points of entry during a storm. Make sure they are all closed to prevent damage to your interior and injury to people.
5. Check the height of the shrubbery and trees in your garden. It is better to remove or cut down the trees that could potentially fall on your house, causing fatality and structural damage.
6. Create an emergency kit. This kit may be a big one as you need to include some essential items here. Put enough supply of food and water for the entire family for at least three days. Also, add toiletries, flashlight, medicines, portable radio, battery, power bank, mobile phone, any signaling device, and cash.
Among those that you need to prepare are your important documents including your insurance. These will help you to get back on track after the storm. At Brad Spurgeon Insurance Agency Inc., we do our best in making sure that our clients are well-protected with affordable and comprehensive policies. To learn more about how we can help you, please contact our agency at (409) 945-4746 or Click Here to request a free quote